Start by using paper, tape, and a marker to create your fabric patterns.
You’ll need to trace the arm once, then create a duplicate of that for the back side of the arm. Lay the two sides of the sleeve out and use them to trace a stripe that will run along the top of the sleeve, where the shoulder is. Duplicate this stripe because you’ll need one for the other side.
Make the belt a little longer than the waist so you can tuck it into the pocket. Duplicate the belt pattern for the back side of the onesie.
Trace a white flap similar to the one in the photo. This will be sewn along the waist, side, and shoulder, but will be buttoned against the chest so that you can still access the zipper. Make the front pocket just like you see in the photo. It should be one long rectangle that can be folded into a pocket with a small flap at the top.
Use the patterns to cut pieces of fabric in the same shapes. Mark the edge of patterns on the fabric with a marker, then cut the fabric so that there’s 1/2” extra on every edge.
Cut the right color fabric for each pattern:
• Two sleeves (front and back) - White
• Two “belts” (front and back) - Light Blue
• One chest flap - White
• Two Shoulder stripes - Light Blue
• One pocket - Light Blue
For this tutorial, we’ll be using pictures of the patterns to show how you’ll stitch the outfit together. You’ll be doing this with the actual fabric.
1. Start by stitching the sides of the pocket, so that the top is open, with a flap that hangs over.
2. Flip the finsihed pocket inside out to hide your stitching!
3. Sew your pocket onto the front of the chest flap. It should be crooked, but in line with the diagonal inner edge of the chest flap. Note the circle markings. There are where your snap buttons wil go.
4. Stitch your chest flap onto the onesie, from the collar to the edge of the shoulder, making sure to hem that extra 1/2” of fabric.
5. Do the same along the bottom edge of the chest flap.
6. Do the same along the top of the sleeve.
7. Stitch one piece of the belt to the front of the onesie, along the waist. Tuck the edges into the pocket and stitch the edges firmly inside. Hem this so that the cut edges don’t show.
8. Pin your sleeve halves together, then hem and stitch your shoulder stripe along the top of your sleeve.
9. Flip the sleeve inside-out.
10. Sew the long edges together to form the sleeve.
11. Flip the finished sleeve inside-out.
12. Slip the white sleeve over the onesie sleeve
13. sew the sleeve along the shoulder seam, front and back.
14. Sew the bottom edge of the sleeve onto the onesie, and then sew the sleeve onto the wrist to complete the white sleeve.
15. Sew the back part of the belt onto the onesie. Don’t forget to hem the edges.
16. Sew the second shoulder stripe onto the other shoulder, all the way around, hemming the edges.
Finally, add black snap buttons to the chest flap. Two at the top left corner, one in the middle of the flappy edge. You should also add two black snap buttons to the front pocket.